Saturday, March 30, 2013

Bathroom project cuts off bike access


"I went to check out the post Sandy damage I was told about at the bike path by Fort Totten. And I was surprised by a HUGE fenced off section, including the parking lot and the whole width of the bike path. I tried walking to other side of the lot by walking along the outside edge of the fence along the waters edge but, I think as you can see in photo, there's a point it goes right to the cliff's edge and I couldn't go any further. I had to turn around, cross the entrance ramp roadway onto grass on other side then to the other section past 212 street.

Can't they leave the path, or at least part of it so people can get from the one section to the other section on the marina section area. Its totally useless now. I'm guessing its going to take most of, if not all of, the summer to complete this construction of bathrooms." - Frustrated in Bayside

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beggars can't be choosers. You want a bathroom and more parking? Deal with a season of having to park under the bridge or by the other end of the bike path.

Anonymous said...

They could have either done this during the off-peek winter past or the next one, or at least leave 5 or so feet to get aroiund it, even if its where the grass is and make a temporary path over the grass.

Anonymous said...

"Beggars can't be choosers. You want a bathroom and more parking? Deal with a season of having to park under the bridge or by the other end of the bike path. "

What a dick.

Anonymous said...

Exactly..

At least they could make a temporary path over the grass then and not block off beyond the highway's guardrail! I mean, come on, if this is really for bathrooms, they certainly aent going to be a building right up to the guardrail of the CIP!

Anonymous said...

I just heard, there is a hole in the fence. Is this permanent or temporary. And who made the hole in the fence? Parks Dept or users.

Anonymous said...

Not even a sign to explain what is going on ? And yes the path should have been redirected temporarily so the many people who use the path can continue to do so. I myself commute by bike from Northern Blvd to North Flushing on a almost daily basis. It frustrated me to see that no one involved in the construction project took the time to make a better decision to limit the impact on the many people who use this path for exercise.

Anonymous said...

Government of the people, for the people and by the people....

Anonymous said...

It's the government. And you expected common sense?