Sunday, November 27, 2011
LaGuardia's swiss cheese tower replaced
From the NY Times:
Loved or hated, the old control tower was undeniably a traveler’s milestone. Spotting it from the cabin of a Lockheed Electra or a Boeing 727 meant you were really back in New York. No other airport had anything quite like this porthole-pocked cynosure; a hometown creation by Wallace K. Harrison, the consummate New York establishment architect of the mid-20th century, who designed the Trylon and Perisphere for the 1939 World’s Fair and went on to play an important role in Rockefeller Center, Lincoln Center and the United Nations.
After the construction last year of a $100 million, high-tech, high-security tower at La Guardia, with a control cab 198 feet above the tarmac, Mr. Harrison’s odd creation was doomed. The old tower, sitting athwart Concourse D, was reduced to a four-story stub over the summer. It is still recognizable as a remnant of its old self but is hard to see from any but the closest vantages. In recent weeks, workers have prepared the vestigial structure for use as storage space by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.