Friday, March 26, 2010

Unfinished crap in Jamaica Hills

"Hey Crapster,

Any idea what the story with this house is? (see attached photo) It's on the corner of 83rd Ave and Homelawn Street, just south of the St. John's Univ campus, and although I pass it every morning on my way to work, there hasn't been any activity there for many years. Looks like the contractor responded to a stop work order by walking away from the project.

Thanks."

- Anonymous

Well, the address is 172-28 83rd Avenue. There is a partial stop work order on the property, the fence permits have expired and the building permits were revoked. I can't seem to find out why, however. Will keep working on it. I asked someone who knows more about the area than me, and he replied, "I think they tried to beat the clock with the Jamaica Hill rezoning - went from R3-2 to R3X...not sure, though."

2 comments:

Gary Baker said...

Watched this from start to now. I believe they tried to combine two houses, or at least dramatically expand the size of the house, prob in violation of the building codes. What an eyesore.

Anonymous said...

Well this house has been like this over 20 years! Some one takes care of the wooded damage fence because I called 311 every time I see part of the fence is on the pavement and by the time I come home is fixed!!
Why is the department of buildings ignoring this?