Friday, January 6, 2017

City Council Member proposes app for trash truck tracking


From CBS:

They’re a welcome sight when garbage piles up on the sidewalk, but getting stuck behind a sanitation truck is no fun for city drivers.

“Cause I always get stuck behind a garbage truck and it always makes me late in the mornings,” Tamara Mose told CBS2’s Jessica Borg.

Especially — she said — while driving in her neighborhood, on narrow one-way streets, like in some Brooklyn neighborhoods.

“It’s the most frustrating thing as a New Yorker,” City Councilman David Greenfield said.

Greenfield said he has a bill that would bring that frustration to an end.

On Wednesday, he proposed making it a requirement for the Sanitation Department to publicly release its GPS data on trucks so that drivers can see exactly where trucks are in real-time.

“It’s really a win, win, win. A win for the drivers, it’s also a win for the sanitation workers, it’s very frustrating when you’re trying to do your job. People are honking, they’re yelling,” Greenfield said.

Greenfield said the GPS data could then be used to create navigation apps to warn people about what streets to avoid.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

So for Dreaming up crap like this in an election year, this prick get over $110,000.00 year?!

(sarc) said...

And when motorists use the app, the City can generate more revenue when they issue cellphone tickets...

Anonymous said...

That's the City Planners job. Or does this guy have a connection to the person or company that would create the app? Hmmm

Anonymous said...

When I drive I look ahead.....If i see a SANITATION TRUCK doing pick ups on the next block I don't go down that block.....But i guess that is too simple for most drivers.....So tell me who is making money for putting GPS on all Sanitation Trucks.....FOLLOW THE MONEY

Anonymous said...

What a colossal waste of money. Who is going to sit there and look at a dedicated app to figure out where garbage trucks are? Pay attention to what's ahead of you and turn off that street before you end up right behind the garbage truck.

JQ LLC said...

The App driven economy is ruining people's lives, personal and economic. I wonder if this councilman and his donors has an investor interest in this app.

I hope the shitty council will consider frugal yet antiquated alternatives...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRm1cg8T8I

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous! How do you avoid streets when you are looking for a parking space...or leavimg your own home to go to work???! I can see that there is a truck blocking my street when I leave for work. I don't need an app!!!

Anonymous said...

This guy needs an app to tell him when to wipe his ass!

Camel said...

Oh great. More drivers looking at their phone instead of the road, just what we need.

Anonymous said...

More "smart" technology for dumb ass morons !

Anonymous said...

Don't honk at the garbage men. It just annoys them. I find that when I sit patiently and let them finish emptying the trash they are in the middle of emptying when I pull up the street, then they will quickly move the truck to the side of the road so I can pass. They are trying to do their job. If you show a little common sense, they will be quick to get out of your way if they can.

ron s said...

The origin of the story is obvious. One day the Councilman got stuck behind a garbage truck and had a hissy fit. Then he said"What law can be passed by City Council so I never ever ever get stuck again!"

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous "Don't honk at the garbage men"
Yes I have used that approach and also give some room to do their job.
Many San-workers get injured on the job from irate drivers.
I believe it now is a automatic felony if you hit a san-worker with your car.

Anonymous said...

When you see the truck,you don't go down the the street!
I've been using that method for 43 years and it works well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, How about putting up a web site where I can see who owns the car illegally in my driveway so I can bang up his face on his front door?

Anonymous said...

Let's GPS everybody! Then you can see when hubby is at the bar and get his car towed so at least he gets home safe.