Monday, February 22, 2010

You might be waiting awhile for your state tax refund

From Crains/AP:

Some New Yorkers could see a delay in the arrival of their state income tax refund checks if Gov. David Paterson decides it's the best way to make sure the state has enough cash.

The state currently limits the amount of tax refunds it pays in the first three months of the year to $1.75 billion. Mr. Paterson is considering lowering that threshold to $1.25 billion because the state must roll $1.4 billion into next year's budget to close a current year budget gap.

So far the state has paid out $293 million in 281,000 tax refunds this year.

The state has until June to pay the refunds before they start accruing interest.

The governor is expected to make a decision in the next few weeks.


Dave says blame the legislature.

Photo from the Daily News

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This doofus Governor is gonna run for Governor? I support his bid. bc watching him campaign will be precious. What is the over/under on anyone bein called 'racist' by Sharpton for not supporting him?

Anonymous said...

Maspeth Mom says

I have changed my W-4; more deductions on the NYS line, (so less is paid to NYS) and more paid to Federal. Then I will hopefully break even with NYS or have to pay.
Better than waiting months to get a refund.

Anonymous said...

The Governor and the State from Hell!
Do exactly what was suggested by writer before me to avoid receiving refund - retain your money now. See below:

I have changed my W-4; more deductions on the NYS line, (so less is paid to NYS) and more paid to Federal. Then I will hopefully break even with NYS or have to pay.

Anonymous said...

If I dont receive my refund then I wont pay my NYS taxes.
If they dont pay, why should I?

There is no better time then the present for lower New York to secede from the State.

Patrick Sweeney said...

Just end withholding a let the government deal with it. Make people write out checks every month to the IRS and NYS Department of Finance and they will get a better sense of what government is costing.

Anonymous said...

What is the over/under on anyone bein called 'racist' by Sharpton for not supporting him?


not gonna happen if it hasn't happened already. sharpton's not an idiot, he's a hypocrite.

Anonymous said...

Wonder what would happen if I decided to pay late? Bet they wouldn't waste any time finding me and making me pay.

Anonymous said...

Why should our money be held hostage because our government officials are incompetent and can't control spending? Time to end waste and inefficiency by dumping them all and starting fresh. It's always the taxpayers who suffer because of someone else's incompetency.

Anonymous said...

Reduce your withholding now. Let them wait.

Anonymous said...

Go Gov.Patterson!!! I like a guy who doesn't bend to the will of the party. He got my vote.

He ain't no wimp. You got to be smart and tough to get where he is. I gotta give him credit.