Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Corona spa owner charged with practicing medicine without a license


QUEENS SPA OWNER CHARGED WITH UNLAWFULLY PRACTICING MEDICINE AND SERIOUSLY INJURING CLIENT

Allegedly Endangered Patient By Performing Liposuction And Fat Injections;
Patient Hospitalized


Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown announced today that the owner of a Corona esthetic spa and nutrition center has been charged with unlawfully practicing medicine and endangering the life of a customer by performing liposuction on her stomach and then re-injecting the fat into her buttocks. A week later, the customer sought medical help, underwent life-saving surgery and was hospitalized for five days.

District Attorney Brown said, “The defendant is accused of nearly causing the death of a young woman by performing medical procedures without a license. Her alleged conduct was both dangerous and reprehensible because it exploited the vanity of an individual seeking a more attractive appearance at a reasonable cost and caused her victim to suffer permanent scarring – both physically and emotionally.”

District Attorney Brown identified the defendant as Barbara A. Nieto, 27, of 99-05 58th Avenue in Corona, Queens. Nieto, who is licensed to perform appearance enhancement by the New York Department of State, was arraigned on Friday, April 9, 2010, in Queens Criminal Court on charges of second-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment and unauthorized practice of medicine. Nieto, who faces up to seven years in prison if convicted, was released on her own recognizance and ordered to return to court on April 27, 2010.

District Attorney Brown noted that appearance enhancement consists of cosmetology, esthetics, nail specialty, natural hair styling and waxing. The District Attorney said that the investigation is continuing and requests other individuals who were treated by the defendant at either Perfect Image Stethics (located at 40-63 Junction Boulevard) or Bell Stetika Esthetics and Spa (located at 93-28A Corona Avenue) to contact his office’s Economic Crimes Bureau at 718-286-6673.

The District Attorney said that, according to the criminal charges, 23-year-old Augusta Velez went to Perfect Image for a consultation and was informed by Nieto of procedures that she could perform which would remove fat from her stomach area and then be re-inserted into her buttocks.

Nieto allegedly told Ms. Velez that the procedure would cost $500. Scheduling an appointment, it is alleged that Ms. Velez returned to Perfect Image on the morning of March 20, 2010, and was taken into a room where Nieto wheeled in a machine that was connected with several hoses. Nieto allegedly injected Ms. Velez with a substance that was supposed to help with pain and then, cutting an opening in her stomach area, used the machine to suction fat from her stomach area. It is similarly alleged that Nieto injected Ms. Velez in the buttocks with a supposed pain relieving substance and then, making two incisions, reinserted the fat into her buttocks. Once Nieto allegedly completed the medical procedures by stitching up the holes in Ms. Velez’s stomach area and buttocks, Nieto allegedly informed Ms. Velez that she would need follow-up massage sessions.

It is further alleged that several days after having the procedure performed, Ms. Velez began to feel severe pain and developed a high fever, which continued for several days. Finding it difficult to walk, Ms. Velez went on March 27, 2010, to Flushing Hospital, where she was diagnosed with
bilateral buttock abscesses and underwent surgery. She remained hospitalized for five days. It is alleged that if Ms. Velez did not seek treatment, she would have developed a septic infection which would have led to death.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

The biggest piece of Queens Crap is just a stone's throw away, at 123-01 Roosevelt Avenue.

Anonymous said...

This is so revolting! The fat that comes off liposuction is mixed with blood. It cannot and should not be injected anywhere.

Anonymous said...

don't the patients of these quacks ever suspect anything? weird docs and dentists give out red flags all over the place - even ones with supposedly good reps.

Anonymous said...

oh my god to think that me and my friend went to this place and was about to do the same think but was very nervous about it that lady barbara is very convincing but ultimate its our decision that would of taken the last token i feel orry for that girl.

Anony2 said...

Sooo, she's 23 lives in a hellhole but has $ for lipo? Then she goes to Flushing, a city hospital, and we pay for her medical treatment a la Medicaid.
Why does a 23 yesr old need her stomach lipo'd anyway?
Nice.

Anonymous said...

i been to this shop and got a butt gel and it went very well.. no complications was thinking of adding a bit more

Anonymous said...

she was caught to soon i was dieing to get my butt big like hers she looks great

Anonymous said...

I got the same thing done and i caught infections and couldnt sit for months at a time. i have permanent scarring and i cry about it all the time. but they took care of me and i dont blame them for it i blame myself because i was being too greedy and it caught up to me. I dont think she should face 7 yrs because the people knew what they were doing and u are also told of complications that could happen before hand so its ur choice.

Anonymous said...

I got the same thing done and i caught infections and couldnt sit for months at a time. i have permanent scarring and i cry about it all the time. but they took care of me and i dont blame them for it i blame myself because i was being too greedy and it caught up to me. I dont think she should face 7 yrs because the people knew what they were doing and u are also told of complications that could happen before hand so its ur choice.

Anonymous said...

I live by this place and I knew there was shady stuff going on..latinos giving latinos a bad name, once again.

Anonymous said...

barbara nieto has more than four years making practice with diferent woman. she injecting the bio gel buttocks. I was injected and I having pain. I know two more women in the same situation.

Anonymous said...

i thought it was pmma shots? dhe was doing

Stephanie... said...

Honestly i feel so bad for Barbara, i had an appt w/her April 8 to receive the butt injections and i knew it was risky but it was something that i put my mind to and wanted done so of course it would be my own fault if complications happened...and to think that i cried when she canceled the appt...i had no idea she was being charged that very same day! Dammit i shouldv'e went a week earlier! SMH! I really hope she doesnt face jail time...all she wanted to do was help out women and their appearance...Ladies its your own fault if your going to seek treatment through an underground spa where you knew it was illegal to begin with! Don't go blaming her bcuz she charged cheap, you fell for it...too bad!

Anonymous said...

I did my butt four years ago wih butt shots...Sometimes I do have pain...For the other girls what kind of pain do u have? Look everyone that goes to her knows she is not doctor...I hope she does not go to jail..Does anyone know what she really used s butt injections..I someimes think it is sicloine...

x said...

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn im so mad i have been callin for weeks i had an appointment to do mine, i was booked for $1500 and intended to go every week to 200 dollars worth so i could get my summer body. i saw her she is a relly nice person i will pray for her, what will i do now,

Anonymous said...

Barbara sabe cuales son las leyes en este pais y ella sabia a lo que se arriesgaba. Si inclusive en clinicas hay complicaciones imaginense en un spa donde ella no cuenta con medicina y equipos. Que hay que esperar que muera alguien? Como puede ella siquiera cortar a alguien y pensar que esta bien.

Anonymous said...

locan u post in english so we can all read it an understand it, it may be useful information for all..

Anonymous said...

i been to this shop and got the same thing done but it went very well.. i had no complications and was thinking of adding a bit more.. i liked barbra she was a really nice person and really pretty!!! sorry to hear what happen.. :(

Anonymous said...

I'M SO UPSET BABARA IS A WONDERFUL PERSON I ALWAYS TOL HER BE CAREFULL OF THESE PEOPLE. WHEN U GO IN TO HER SHE EXPLAINS TO U ABOUT THE PROCEDURES AND THE OUTCOME.PLUS U SIGN A PAPER THAT U DOING THE PROCEDURE AT WILL AD U UNDERSTAND THE OUTCOME. SHE DID MY BUTTOCKS 2 YRSAGO AND IT'S PERFECT NO COMPLIANT. PEOPLE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND IT LIKE MEDICINE THE BODY MIGHT TAKE TO IT OR IT WILL REJECT IT. I HAVE TO GIVE HER A CALL. WILL PRAY 4 U B

Anonymous said...

i feel so bad about what is going on.. i got the bio gel injections 3yrs. ago..everything went great! no complains or pain..thank god.. feel bad for barbara..at the end its all up to the patient..

Anonymous said...

Anonyymous said...I had this butt thing done.I hate it, I now look like a have cellulite. How can we find out what the hell she really used. I had no damn clue, she was a fake under ground Spa if that's what you are calling it. It was a Store front Spa, not understanding. How did no Cop ever stop in to see what was really going on in there then. Some one with information about what she really injected into our butt's help. $1,500 is not cheap under ground prices, hate to tell you. I'm worthy so it had nothing to do with price for me. A friend took me there and said she was well known in the Latina world of butt injections. Who better to trust...now i can understand why i look the way i do...please help by letting me know what was injected in my butt. Sincerely sorry to all us women who really didn't know but trusted Barbara.

Anonymous said...

Where is Barbara????

Anonymous said...

I went to this place and was charged 1500 for a gel butt injection. She looked like a nice and trust worthy person but did nothing when my buttocks came out with scars and made my skin darker which I am domed for life, I can't wear any bathing suits unless I wear short to cover it. It also hears when I sit for long periods of time or when someone smacks it. Does anyone know how I can remove it?

Francy said...

Yeahhhh ! Bla bla bla bla for all This bull shit r people saying, Why nobody put their names why everybody is anonymous , yeah my name is francya and I just going to say if u take a fricking descicion to do something like that in your body even when u know that is just a spa no a plastic surgeon , is your own fucking fall , so u stupid girls that want to get done this shit get a life work and save money so u could go to a plastic surgeon and stop blame her because is your body is your life and all this people that r anonymous is people that is call friends but they r just pathetic girls that want to have body's for shipper and that's why they don't put their names . This message is for the lady velez u want it u have it so is not her fall it's your fault because u Wise that she is not a doctor .

Anonymous said...

No! May god have mercy on her soul how dare u guys bash out these victims she told a bunch of girls what she was doing was legal! including myself said the bio gel was compatible and has no harm and that its used in most spas in New York ! Young naive girls fell for these bs! Why? Because a lot of woman didn't consider an injection as a surgery more like going to any other spa and getting Botox! I hope they lock her up and throw away the key! God knows how many more damage she did! And my name is Kelly Perez! how dare she do that to velez ! ?! Smfh! And you crazy hoes still want shit injected when u know the bitch has no heart?!

Anonymous said...

My friend went here several years ago and got the injections in her butt. She has recently started getting pains in her side. Does anyone else have this side effect? More inportantly, has anyone found out what she used to inject the patients with?????!! silicone?

Anonymous said...

Yes it comes from Colombia (South America)She is out of jail and back in business don't have location yet but working on it

Hiram Ortiz said...

I know Barbara a very long time and she and her female family gets all there work done in Colombia all of her fake including her nose and she will keep it up because she doesn't care who she disfigures or kills she just wants the money and if you don't care what happens to you go to her

Anonymous said...

How can we find out what she was injecting into us. She did claim her husband was a dr. And she was a licensed professional. All lies just for money ...very deceitful

Anonymous said...

Sorry but by law she should have to come clean on what she was really doing and injecting. Sad bc women trusted her, she always claimed nothing was permanent nor Unhealthy or risky. I was told things were done naturally to just help in assisting your body get in perfect shape for women who were in near perfect shape. I hope if anyone knows what she truly injected into the body would post it...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous..
I got my buttocks injected with Barbara but she told me it was hyaluronic acid, till this day I have that piece of paper. She put like a tube inside my buttocks and that's how it was infected, it was not with a needle 🙁. She said is 2 session, when I went for tge second session it was the same procedure but this time she had a helper doing one side and her the other. Then short after that time she got caught. Then a few months later my but started to feel lumpy and hard , till thus day its very hard, lumps and some sharp pain on my uperleg on the back. Please if someone knows what exactly she used for the buttocks write it down so that we can all know.

Chris said...

Hi! I got my butt done and now I’m worried what she injected. I did call the cops when I found out that she was injecting other stuff in people buts but they told me the case was closed and didn’t give me any details. Just that they tried to contact me but never got ahold of me. After so many years I’m concerned who can answer our questions???

Anonymous said...

She is back in business again I can't believe it, for those who are interesting in knowing what she injected in the butt I don't know the exact name but it's definitely biopolymers and we need to get a surgery to take out of our body is very dangerous no matter how many years it has passed. Barbara Nieto has a new place now look it up on Instagram @rebeauty.ny she continues doing the "plasma gel and vitamin C " in buttocks