Sunday, April 25, 2010

Paterson puts 2,000 construction workers out of work

From Crain's:

About 2,000 construction workers on a dozen current or anticipated job sites in the city will join the unemployment line because Gov. David Paterson decided last month to halt state-funded construction projects, union officials said.

The largest project facing possible shutdown is the $407 million rehabilitation of the Alexander Hamilton Bridge, which connects the Bronx and Manhattan, as well as the rehab of related ramps and roads. Other projects include the $146 million pavement-deck replacement on the Gowanus Expressway and $59 million in bridge and pavement repairs on the Nassau Expressway in Queens.

The job losses from those and other projects could come in the next few weeks. They would come on top of the 40,000 construction workers—roughly 40% of the workforce—who are already out of work because of the recession, which has hit the industry especially hard.


georgetheatheist said...

Damn, I wish they'd fix the roads. My shocks can't take it anymore.

[x] Male
[x] No, not of Latino, Hispanic, or Spanish origin
[x] White

Anonymous said...

when you're broke, you're broke.

Anonymous said...

Pencils $1 Get your pencils here

Anonymous said...

Hey, as long as he has a job, he doesn't care about anyone else. I will say that he had to do something. You can't spend what you don't have. Watch state taxes soar next year. New York is screwed.

Anonymous said...

It's only going to get worse before it gets any better.