Tuesday, April 27, 2010

End of the line in LIC


From the Daily News:

The wait is over.

After days of camping out in the rain, Queens dad Jeremy Fernandez was the first desperate job seeker to get a coveted application Monday for an elevator repair apprentice program.

"It was definitely worth the wait," said the 24-year-old Fernandez once he had his application in hand. "I'm here for a career, and I hope I get employed. It can change everything around."

Fernandez was at the head of the line in Astoria when the Local 3 Elevator Mechanics Union opened its doors about 9:30 a.m. It was his big payoff for camping out since 4 a.m. Friday, sleeping in a tent and whiling away the hours playing cards and dominoes.

He was one of hundreds of New Yorkers who waited in line for an application that could lead to a job for as many as 100 people.

"I'm here so I can put food on the table for my family," said Fernandez, a Woodhaven, Queens, resident with a toddler named Jeremiah.

He worked construction until he was laid off six months ago.

"It's hard out there," Fernandez said. "All I've been doing is looking for a job. Without the effort, you get nothing."

Not everyone on line was so lucky.

4 comments:

georgetheatheist said...

Elevator guys do it up and down.

-----------------------------------
[x] Male
[x] No, not of latino, Hispanic or Spanish origin
[x] White

Bing Crosby said...

They used to tell me I was building a dream, and so I followed the mob,
When there was earth to plow, or guns to bear, I was always there right on the job.
They used to tell me I was building a dream, with peace and glory ahead,
Why should I be standing in line, just waiting for bread?

Once I built a railroad, I made it run, made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad; now it's done. Brother, can you spare a dime?
Once I built a tower, up to the sun, brick, and rivet, and lime;
Once I built a tower, now it's done. Brother, can you spare a dime?

Anonymous said...

Where did these guys take a crap for the whole weekend?

Anonymous said...

porta potties were setup close by