With the deadline to return the census forms quickly approaching, local community leaders got a special visit Thursday from the U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke who gave them a pep talk on the importance of responding to the count, regardless of people's immigration status or living arrangements.
Many census workers report having a tough time convincing new and illegal immigrants to fill out the forms while others say people with multiple families in a dwelling are sometimes undercounting how many people are living there.
The government and local leaders are worried about a serious undercount in places that traditionally have low counts. But there is growing concern that areas like Middle Village, Ridgewood and Maspeth -- which used to have healthy participation rates -- may not this time around because of changing demographics.
"We want to see every person who could be possibly counted counted so that we have the proper representation of state, local and federal governments," said Congressman Joseph Crowley.
From the Daily News:
"Anyone who thinks ignoring the census forms doesn't have consequences is just wrong," Mayor Bloomberg said during an update on Wednesday at City Hall.
"That low response rate could have really serious complications and consequences for our city. It's been estimated that for every person not counted in the census we lose about $3,000 in federal aid a year," Bloomberg said.
Okay, now it's time for a Crappy rant, so buckle your seatbelts, folks...
"Areas like Middle Village, Ridgewood and Maspeth -- which used to have healthy participation rates" are fast becoming dumps thanks to Mayor Bloomberg's following retarded policies since 2002:
1) Encouraging teardowns of 1 & 2 family homes with replacement by apartment buildings.
2) Encouraging illegal immigration by perpetuating the sanctuary city policy.
3) Encouraging illegal conversions. In fact, he told the Queens Civic Congress he wasn't planning to do anything about the problem because then the people living in these units would have nowhere to live. (Interestingly, but not surprisingly, the QCC never made a big stink about that.)
4) Rejecting one Queens landmarking application after the other.
5) Starving the public while giving tax breaks to developers.
All of this leads to:
6) Encouraging absentee landlordism. Which means Joe and Jane Smith move to Long Island and stuff as many people into their illegally carved up home back in Queens as possible. So long as they can collect the rent, who cares? They don't have to deal with the problems they cause. So only 2 forms get sent to a house with 7 families living in it, and both forms get ignored.
On top of all that, we have repeated messages that insult our intelligence, like this:
- How will we know how many hospitals we need if we don't fill out the census?
- How will we know how many trains we need if we don't fill out the census?
- How will we know how many schools we need if we don't fill out the census?
- It's been estimated that for every person not counted in the census we lose about $3,000 in federal aid a year.
Well here's the thing... even when you boys know, we don't see any improvements in these services. In fact, we're down multiple hospitals here in Queens since the last census, while our population has increased dramatically. Let's not forget the cuts in train service, elimination of bus routes and overcrowded schools which are all the results of broken promises. All while the coveted federal aid goes toward bullshit tweeding programs and grandiose development schemes.
And that's why no one's filling out the census. Deal with it, Bloomberg, as you have no one to blame for this but yourself.
(As for you, Honest Joe, we know that your biggest concern is to get more Democrats in Congress. You're all about the tweeding. Talk about an absentee landlord... How's Virginia these days?)