From the Queens Gazette:
Queens fire officials are warning residents not to use gasoline or gasoline products if the bedbugs bite.
FDNY officials said several Astoria residents called 911 over the past few months after they smelled gasoline coming from adjacent apartments. Firefighters responding to the calls found that residents had poured gasoline on mattresses to kill bedbugs and had even wiped the flammable liquid on their arms and their children’s to stop the bugs from biting.
The incidents prompted FDNY officials to issue a stern warning about possibly fatal consequences that could result from the practice.
Fire sources said gasoline is a highly explosive compound that could ignite and “pop” from something as simple as flicking a light switch. Fire officials are advising residents to notify their landlords or seek help from professional exterminators to rid their apartments of bedbugs or other insects or rodents.
Queens residents are urged to call “311” for assistance from the NYC Health Department, fire officials said.