About 14 members of the extended family from Haiti lived in the three-story wood-frame E. 19th St. house in converted apartments with a jury-rigged electrical system, a fire source said.
"Nothing was up to code," the source said. "The apartment had been sliced into rooms, with practically every room being rented out. It was a regular hotel."
Fire inspectors said wiring on the third floor sparked the blaze.
Hero boy dies trying to save 2 from fire
The Buildings Department inspected and issued citations for illegal partitions and occupancy. The department was looking into whether the building was illegally converted, said spokeswoman Kate Lindquist.
Photo from Daily News