Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Elevator finally opens at Briarwood

From DNA Info:

Straphangers got a welcome surprise at the Briarwood subway station as they headed to work Monday morning — the elevator was finally running, three years after it was initially scheduled to be completed in 2014.

The elevator at the Briarwood station, which serves the E and F trains, was built as part of the $159 million Kew Gardens Interchange project, conducted by the state Department of Transportation in order to widen the nearby Van Wyck Expressway.

It was delayed many times, most recently due to 1,000-pound "specialized equipment that needed to be ordered to complete work on the elevator" necessary for its security cameras, fire alarm and intercom, the DOT said in March.

The equipment was later installed in the MTA’s communications room, officials said.

The elevator finally opened on Sunday afternoon, locals said.


(sarc) said...

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets!

We can now wager how long this lift will be operational, until the local miscreants vandalize, destroy, and disable this amenity of the station.

We will never be told the actual costs of maintaining and repairing this service for the disabled.

The problem is that the few people who actually need this service must wait on all the slothful, unmotivated, and obese slugs wasting everyone's time...

JQ LLC said...

3 years, I guess I shouldn't complain anymore about the 2 year delay at the Lefferts Blvd station for that elevator or even the year long process for a staircase (that is still not open, raging update coming soon.)

I can only imagine the ardrous search for this equipment, I couldn't find the clip and it may be an obscure reference, but I recall a scene in the movie "my bodyguard" when the wimpy kid was helping the big guy find a carburetor for his crappy motorcycle in the junkyard.

JQ LLC said...

All those bums that you see scrounging for scrap probably would have found the parts by accident faster than the worst fucking transit system in the universe.

Anonymous said...

I predIct that the next major rainfall will put this new elevator out of commission. It will
take 3 weeks to repair it.