Wednesday, September 4, 2013

History of the Unisphere



From Alan Gross on Facebook:

I'm posting this video to celebrate 6,000,000 visitors to my friend Queens Crap's blogsite page. I've lived in Flushing, Queens all my life and came alive during the 1964/1965 World's Fair. The international exposition also was the reason 2 Goodyear blimps spent their summers in Flushing. Having the fair in my backyard enabled me to visit often. The symbol of the World's Fair was the iconic Unisphere, the huge stainless steel globe. I remember it being built! This short documentary shows the challenges and triumphs of its construction.

The Queens Crap blogsite provides its readers with in depth news stories about the borough of Queens. More importantly, readers' comments provide inside knowledge and truth not found anywhere else. While some may feel the site is controversial, I admit that it's one of my daily addictions. Over the years, I've posted stories and comments and am happy that such a forum was created.

The Unisphere is also part of the Crapper's logo so I thought it fitting that on this auspicious occasion of the 6 millionth visit, I post the story of the Unisphere's birth.


Here's something funny and blog-related...




Heh.


In other words, "Don't tread on me!"

11 comments:

alypne said...

thanks Joe, you are the shit.

Le Gross Foo Chat said...

I'm another daily addict of Queens Crap, and proud to be!

Gary the Agnostic said...

Gee. I wonder why they don't have anything to say.

Anonymous said...

I'm another daily addict of Queens Crap, and proud to be!
----------------------------------------------------------
Can't start my day without a Queens Crap moment!

Anonymous said...

I read QC every day, and I don't even live in NYC anymore (but was born and raised in Flushing).

This was a great video. I doubt we could build the Unisphere today, no steel industry left here, and all that talent/knowhow is gone.

It now towers over a park that is filled with crime and illegals, and decaying every day, sadly a good allegory for Queens and NYC and the country in general.

Anonymous said...

The only attraction in Queens, since they destroyed the Aquatheater. Why cant the Unisphere be restored to its original beauty? This park and landmark could be the Central Park of Queens if our politicians gave a damn about the borough. Instead, they eye this park as land to be developed and money in their pockets. Just criminal.

Joe said...

They really should refurbish the lights on this. Many people don't know this but each Continents major city's and mountains have lights. This was to give it an awesome 3d look at night.

Anonymous said...

"They really should refurbish the lights on this. Many people don't know this but each Continents major city's and mountains have lights. This was to give it an awesome 3d look at night."

The external lighting also made it looked like the globe rotated!

Mike The Bike B said...

Have no fear we are thinking of moving it to Central Park. Queens doesn't need it.

georgetheatheist said...

The Unisphere = the Eiffel Tower.

Ergo, Queens = Paris

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisphere

"During the fair, dramatic lighting at night gave the effect of sunrise moving over the surface of the globe. Additionally, the capitals of nations were marked by lights. One of these lights is placed at the location of the Kahnawake Indian Reservation, which the Mohawk ironworkers requested to be placed there to honor their labor."