An apartment in the Brooklyn building where a blaze killed a tenant and injured 16 others had been illegally divided into cramped, dangerous living spaces, FDNY sources said.
The fire, sparked by a faulty refrigerator wire, broke out at about 12:35 a.m. Wednesday in a three-story building on Flatbush Avenue near Farragut Road that also housed a storefront church, according to the sources.
The tenement was plagued by perilous electrical conditions, including exposed wires, fire marshals said. After the blaze, the Department of Buildings ordered the remaining residents to vacate.
The owner of the building told The Post that without his consent, a second-floor tenant had created 11 illegal small rooms in his apartment.
Friday, November 21, 2014
Another illegal conversion leads to death
Posted by Queens Crapper at 12:52 AM
Labels: Brooklyn, death, Department of Buildings, electricity, FDNY, fire, illegal conversion, refrigerator, vacate order, wires
Post a Comment