Man cleared in slay to sue city
BY NICOLE BODE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
A Queens man cleared Wednesday of charges he murdered a woman over a cell phone is now planning to sue the city, saying prosecutors had proof from the start he wasn't their man.
A lawyer for Donnell Dunson, 24, of St. Albans said he provided Queens prosecutors and police with ample info early on to prove he wasn't involved in the Dec. 8 shooting death of 23-year-old Shashauna Sanders in Jamaica. Dunson spent two months in jail, and charges against him weren't dropped until months after the crime.
"From the moment this began, we told them that this was the wrong person. He was not there the evening of the event," said lawyer Robert Simels.
Dunson had been charged with meeting Sanders at a bar and accompanying her and another couple to a Jamaica home. A fight ensued over a cell phone, and when Sanders tried to knife her date, he shot her, cops said at the time.
Prosecutors did not go into detail Wednesday as to why they were dismissing the charges against Dunson in Queens Criminal Court - nor would they say whether someone else is being investigated.
Simels said Dunson was home talking to his girlfriend on the phone the night of the shooting. They provided witnesses and phone records to prove it, he said.
They also discovered that the killer's pal lied to police about the attack. Finally, they asked that Dunson's DNA be compared with the killer's DNA - which prosecutors found on the victim, Simels said.