Sunday, August 31, 2014

Shalimar Diner needs to clean up its act

"When you walk in Rego Park, make sure you're walking in the middle of the block as you pass the Shalimar Diner at 63-68 Austin Street.

Although the Shalimar has knowledge that they are responsible for keeping up the area around the curbside tree, they just ignore it. The grass is nearly waist high and the garbage strewn and hidden in the tall grass makes it a trip & fall waiting to happen.

If you walk too close to the building, you may get hit in the head by pieces of the cement facade that are falling off. Makes one think what is going on in their kitchen with all this obvious neglect!" - Anonymous

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shallimar has seen better days. It always looks run down and dirty from the outside. Very un inviting . Don't think they will last much longer .

Anonymous said...

I don't see many busineses (or private homes) that take care of street trees. I won't patronize them.

Anonymous said...

no matter, soon it will to under and be turned into another giant chinese restaraunt like i see with a lot of old time diners

Anonymous said...

Nobody goes to diners anymore.

Anonymous said...

My son recently moved near there, and on moving day I took him and his friend to Shalimar for lunch. Our meals were great-- classic diner food. The inside looked clean and kept up. I must say I didn't take notice of the tall grass outside, I was too hungry I guess. It makes me happy that we still have real diners like this, and not all big national chain restaurants in Queens.

Anonymous said...

I love Diners! There is nothing more New York City. I love the Metro in Middle Village and the Classic over on Lefferts and Myrtle.

Anonymous said...

What part of the wall is crumbling? You can't tell what part those close-ups are from. Way around back? Here is the diner from the front. Doesn't look too terrible. I like to complain as much as the next NYer, but this diner's really pretty nice!

http://public.fotki.com/RyanScatenato/shalimar-diner/05.html

Anonymous said...

Shalimar is the only place where I have ever been asked how I wanted my turkeyburger cooked. Is this even a question? It's fricken poultry?!