Monday, July 28, 2014

Setting up shop at Leavitt Park

Hey Crapper,

I am hoping you can help with this situation in Flushing at Leavitt’s Park on the corner of 32nd Ave and Leavitt Street. For the past two weeks or so I have seen a U-Haul truck drive into the park, open the back door and set up shop. The people take out tables, clothing racks, boxes and sell the merchandise to people in the park. I have seen them there for the past two weeks from 11am to 6pm. I called the police last week but little has changed, today I called 311 and they said it is a minimum of 14 days for the parks department to do an investigation of my complaint.

Any suggestion who I should reach out to? It infuriates me that someone would drive a truck into a public park and open a store on public land.

- Anonymous Flushing Resident

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is illegal. Of course 311 will not help, what a useless number that is!

Joe said...

I saw this as well. This is terrible! What a decline in the quality of life in flushing! I'd start by sending the councilman Paul Vallone an email so you have a paper trail. I will do the same. Then if you could I'd document the event. Take pics every weekend, ALONG with a pic of the license plate. I'd also put in a complaint with the IRS, and NY state Tax dept. Im SURE they're not paying any taxes on the sales of their items. It's really disgusting. Ive been here 30 years, and Im seriously considering moving out. Im going to come out and say it, but there's a cultural divide here. The Asians have no regard for rules. They buy a house, come in tear it up, put up new bedrooms, toilets, and instead 1 family living there, there's 3. Complete bullshit.

Anonymous said...

Try 109 pct community affairs. They have been responsive to issues I have called about in the past.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Consumer Affairs? Or Dept of Finance? -I'll bet these guys aren't collecting sales tax!

Anonymous said...

When I've contacted Paul Vallone's office, they have also asked me to notify 311 anyway so that there will be a complaint number that they can cite when they follow up.

Anonymous said...

The field property is owned by the department of education and any group can rent the field if they have proper insurance.

The corner is another story. The education department says it is park property and the dept. of parks says it is education property.

Anonymous said...


Don't even bother with 311 or 911, it doesn't work, you call them and the cops either laugh at you or never show up.

They rather be eating bagels, drinking coffee, getting fatter and just waiting for retirement day even when they are rookies.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you have to make a bs story such as minors drinking, smoking weed or possible gang activities there. This is lying, but sometimes necessary.