NY Daily News
About 6,000 homeless New Yorkers who are suffering from coronavirus or are at risk of getting the disease are going to taken out of shelters and put into hotels, Mayor de Blasio announced Saturday.
“We think it is the right balance to strike to make sure that they get what they need and be safe,” the mayor said during a press conference from City Hall. “We will use those hotels aggressively as a tool to support homeless individuals, to strike the right balance in our shelters to make sure people who need to be isolated are isolated."
The move from shelters to hotels should be completed by Monday, de Blasio said. The hotels will be available to singles, not families.
Priority placement will be given to seniors, anyone with COVID-19 symptoms or anyone diagnosed with the virus, de Blasio said.
“They, of course, will be isolated in hotel settings,” the mayor said.
More than 6,000 people in New York City have succumbed to coronavirus, the latest figures show.
The Big Apple’s death toll now stands at 6,367, an increase of from the 5,463 previously reported on Saturday, according to the NYC Health Department.
There have been more than 98,000 cases in the city, resulting in at least 27,000 hospitalizations, the health department said.
The highest rate of cases has been reported in Staten Island, which is followed by the Bronx and Queens, according to the figures.