Saturday, November 17, 2012

Red Cross workers living large


From the Huffington Post:

The American Red Cross has come under fire for its slow response to certain areas hit hard by Hurricane Sandy, and now critics have a new complaint against the relief organization: It’s paying $181,000 for volunteers to stay at a swanky downtown Manhattan hotel.

The Red Cross, which has raised $131 million in Sandy relief as of Tuesday, recently fired back at critics, calling its disaster response effort “near flawless.” But struggling Sandy survivors allege Red Cross volunteers aren’t visible in their towns, and many have said they don’t understand where the organization's dollars could be going.

The nonprofit revealed to the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday that one big-ticket Sandy relief item is hotel stays for volunteers. Since New York City is packed with tourists and facing a housing crisis, the Red Cross has taken 45 rooms at the upscale Soho Grand Hotel –- at a discounted rate -- which will end up costing $181,000, spokeswoman Laura Howe told the Journal.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has also taken three rooms at the Soho Grand since Sandy hit, according to the paper.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

geez they could have stayed at the LaQuinta in Sunnyside queens for less then 1/3 that price....but its Queens and its LaQuinta....too low class i guess

Anonymous said...

Nothing, give nothing to the Red Cross EVER!

Anonymous said...

I'm giving my donation to Catholic Charities because I KNOW they'll help out Breezy Point. ALL of my money will go there, not to posh accommodations.

Ever since I heard an old WW II veteran tell me about how the Red cross once charged him for a pack of cigarettes when he was in rehab, I won't give them the Red cross a cent.

He called the RC "a bunch of phonies"!
I was about 8 years old when I heard this common story.

I wonder what their CEO makes?

Anonymous said...

why can't I stay at that hotel???
fema vouchers are paying for flea bag shitholes in the Bronx & in Brooklyn with danger of robbery. might as well stay home.

Anonymous said...

I agree. My mother always told me not to give to the Red Cross. Catholic Charities or The Salvation Army are better choices. At least the money will go to the people who need it.

mcfutch said...

When I was a local disaster volunteer for the Red Cross after 9/11 I often had to pick up and drop national volunteers who were flown in to four and five star hotels. RARELY did I ever take them to the Holiday Inn, Ramada, or any other budget-minded places. What I didn't get is why the organization has this disaster model, where they fly people in who do not know the surroundings, make-up of the people or general knowledge of the area, rather than cultivate and utilize more local assistance. As it was, they treated the local volunteers as second-class citizens who were there to wait hand and foot on the national rockstar colunteers. Odd organization, that. I never volunteered for them again.

Anonymous said...

"What I didn't get is why the organization has this disaster model, where they fly people in who do not know the surroundings..."

Just like FEMA


Anonymous said...

Salvation army gets my $$$, F the red cross...............

Anonymous said...

The Red Cross is a double cross!

Anonymous said...

I've heard that Salvation Army is the way to go with your donations. Red Cross is really some unknown goverment-sanctioned black hole-- with none of the supposed accountability that the GSA would give to a government agency. Ever been to DC? They have their own fancy federal office building two blocks from the White House, across from the ellipse. No thanks.

Anonymous said...

Team Rubicom is the group of young U.S. Army Veteran's who have formed to help at disasters like Katrina and Sandy.

the local tv news has hi-lighted their aid to the victims in Rockaway.Breezy Pt. and Staten Island.

search "Team Rubicom .com for a profile and donor information.