Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Damage to public street trees

"Along with the demolition of many classic old homes across Queens comes the damage and destruction of highly valued and productive curbside shade trees. Our communities gain enormously from the environmental and aesthetic benefits provided by shade trees that make up our larger URBAN FOREST.

This contractor at 58th Avenue and 196th Place did not think so. Under full violation of the Department of Park's rules and regulation for protecting street trees, he decided that curbs and sidewalks are more valuable than the life sustaining tree roots, now removed.

The contractor may now pay for the destruction of these public trees but the community again has lost their irreplacable shade trees. These can not be replaced.

To think that none of the neighbors said a word to stop the contractor."

Always Fast again, eh? Did they get the right house this time at least?

See QC's "How to Save Street Trees" for a lesson in protecting urban greenery.

6 comments:

faster340 said...

I am sorry. I am not totally supportive of these curbside trees. I have a giant one in front of my house that has totally destroyed my sidewalk and I have no curb as a result either. This tree was planted in the late 30's by the city of NY because I have a tax photo of my house from the city archives that show the tree freshly planted. I have proposed to the city that they remove it before it causes human or property damage and I would pay out of my own pocket for a new tree. The city said NO... I am so pissed about this! I went through the proper protcols even before I closed and moved into this house in 2004 I set the ball in motion and still haven't seen squat!

Russell M. from Jay Avenue in Maspeth...

Anonymous said...

If you don't like trees....you putz....move to Manhattan!

faster340 said...

Hey idiot if you read what I wrote you would see that I in fact want trees, I just want the city to maintain them so I am not responsible to fix the sidewalk after the tree they planted destroys it...

Here are some pictures of the damage...

http://www.faster340.com/tree1.JPG
http://www.faster340.com/tree2.JPG
http://www.faster340.com/tree3.JPG


Maybe you should learn how to read... you putz!

Queens Crapper said...

Now now, this bickering isn't constructive.

The city sidewalk program for fixing damage from the trees is a 311 call. I just now called 311 to see if the program was still underway.

It goes like this and I should mention, it took two years for my sidewalk to be fixed after I registered the complaint. When they came, they did a good job. They make a little hill on the sidewalk at the root site of the tree, never touching the tree.

Prior to the repair they come around to give ratings to the damage. For instance, I had a #7 plus damage rating, which is pretty high. The higher the number the higher the priority. They work their way down the number scale with the lowest rating being lowest on the priority list.

I would suggest anyone with a damaged sidewalk from a tree call 311 and let them take the information. Keep track of control numbers.

More here.

Anonymous said...

"Idiot" replies....340 You're still a "putz" for not knowing about the city's sidewalk fixing program! And...yes I did and can read...possibly higher than your level.....and even between the lines!

faster340 said...

Sorry "idiot" go troll some other site/blog and try to incite something, not here....

Have a nice day...

Russell M.
Maspeth
www.faster340.com