Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Flushing garage explodes
From Eyewitness News:
Five people were injured when a garage exploded at a home in Queens.
It happened just before 7 p.m. on 27th Avenue near Murray Street in Flushing.
Apparently the 31-year-old homeowner was cleaning his motorcycle in the garage while a tank of C16 high-grade racing fuel was leaking.
Vapors from the leak somehow ignited and caused an explosion in his garage, which also had several fireworks inside according to police.
The victims suffered shrapnel injuries and burns.
The homeowner suffered burns over 50% of his body.
He is in serious condition at Jacobi Medical Center's burn unit.
The resulting fire burned and destroyed the garage.