From the Daily News:
A Queens 10-year-old was burned over half his body when a water balloon he had ignited splashed into a gasoline puddle - sparking a vicious fireball.
Gavin Rogers was nearly engulfed in flames, but his quick-thinking friend doused him with a garden hose, extinguishing the flames - and likely saving his life.
Gavin suffered second- and third-degree burns over half his body, including to his legs and face, his shocked family said.
Gavin was playing on a concrete patio behind the garage of his family's home on Beach 146th St. in the Rockaways. With him were one of his brothers, Chris and another pal.
His mother was at work, and no other adults were around.
The boys, enjoying a gorgeous sunny day, used a can of gasoline to fill up a dirt bike, but they accidentally spilled some of the fuel onto the concrete patio, Chris recalled.
Then Gavin began horsing around with the water balloon - first filling it up with water and then touching it with a flame.
It was supposed to be just an innocent boyish antic, but it nearly cost Gavin his life.
The flame caused the balloon to burst, and amid the shower of water was a still-burning piece of rubber, which made contact with the gasoline on the floor - with devastating effect.
The flames that shot up Gavin's body were so intense they melted the rubber on the soles of the boy's sneakers, Chris and other witnesses said.
After an FDNY ambulance rushed Gavin to the hospital, his brothers and friends could only try to make sense of the horrific moment when frivolous fun turned terribly wrong.