Thursday, September 27, 2012

Boarded-up Woodhaven house broken into

From the Times Ledger:

  A long-abandoned Woodhaven house with a brutal murder in its history was finally sealed by the city — almost. 

 Officials from the city Department of Housing Preservation and Development boarded up the doors and windows last week after neighbors complained of shady characters going in and out of the house, at 87-19 90th St. But hours after officials secured the residence and left the property, neighbors said the squatters returned and kicked down a freshly installed cinder block wall at a back entrance before the cement dried.

 “Neighbors heard the young men come back shouting, cursing and bemoaning that it had been sealed,” said Ed Wendell, president of the Woodhaven Block Association. “The next thing they heard was a giant crash. Cinder blocks are good, but not when the cement is still wet.”


Anonymous said...

It needs to be razed...........

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

Can we please just shoot these people aready?

Anonymous said...

Next time, armed guards should be posted until the cement is dry

Anonymous said...

Speaking of needs to be razed. There are 4 houses and 3 garages alleged to be unstable -- lying dormant for approximately 8 years -- allegedly full of mold, building code and zoning violations, vermin (human and otherwise) -- seemingly abandoned -- open and unguarded for the most part.

Some of the houses are due to be sealed at the 223rd Street Huang development.

Unguarded and vacant. Let's see if that really happens.

Perhaps, Senator Avella could contact the NYC DOB to see that it actually happens. 2 of the houses have been written up.

Councilman Halloran -- maybe you would like to see what you can do about it.

Doesn't hurt to ask.