From the Iron Triangle Tracker:
The city will formally kick-off plans to seize control of the remaining privately-owned land at Willets Point this June, officials at the Economic Development Corp. said Wednesday.
The EDC said a public hearing on eminent domain will be held at Flushing Town Hall on June 22, a procedural first step in the legal process through which the city plans to take the remaining 22 acres of land at Willets Point.
Dozens of property owners are yet to reach deals with EDC negotiators however, and the city’s move towards eminent domain indicates that the time to do so outside of a courtroom is drawing to a close.
The vast majority of the City Council said it was opposed to the use of eminent domain, and the EDC said it would not use the controversial practice unless all other options had been exhausted.
Jerry Antonacci, co-owner of Crown Container Co. and President of Willets Point United Against Eminent Domain said...“They’re pretty quick to pull the trigger on eminent domain. But I guess they’re gonna do what they’re gonna do and we’re gonna do what we have to do to stop them.”
So Mayor Bloomberg, Seth Pinsky, Robert Lieber, David Lombino, Chuck Apelian, Claire Shulman, Helen Marshall, Toby Stavisky, Eric Gioia, Hiram Monserrate, Melinda Katz, John Liu, Peter Vallone, Jr., and all the other tweeders lied about what was going to happen at Willets Point. Which comes as a shock to absolutely no one.
The EDC only made 2 property acquisition deals since the November 13, 2008 vote and has been telling Iron Triangle businesses that lie outside of the phase 1 area - which is most of them - to not expect negotiations to start for more than a year. But then they send them an eminent domain notice?
As one astute observer remarked to me, "If there was a gun on the negotiating table before, now it's pointed at the owners' heads."
Thank you all for steamrolling the working people of Queens for your rich developer friends!