Sunday, November 25, 2007

2 suits for Bovis over Citi Field injuries

INJURY SUITS TAKE $WING AT CITI PARK
By MELISSA KLEIN and JANON FISHER, NY Post

November 25, 2007 -- Two workers at the new Mets stadium site are suing troubled contractor Bovis Lend Lease over injuries they suffered because of allegedly unsafe work conditions, according to court papers.

Daniel Gordon suffered permanent injuries to his feet, ankles, legs and back when he was hoisted 30 feet off the ground by a crane hook July 13, according to a lawsuit filed last week in Manhattan Supreme Court.

A second suit claims a malfunctioning hydraulic lift collapsed under Melvin Ramos on Oct. 2 at the new Citi Field, causing unspecified injuries.

Bovis is currently under investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office after two firefighters died in a blaze earlier this year at the Deutsche Bank building, where a standpipe that should have delivered water to firefighters was found to be inoperable.

Bovis, in a joint venture with the Hunt Construction Group, is the construction manager at Citi Field, due to open in 2009.

The city Buildings Department briefly issued a partial stop-work order to Bovis after the first accident. Another stop-work order preventing lifting operations at the site was issued after the July accident. It was unclear when that order was lifted.

"In both instances work resumed after a thorough investigation on the subsequent business day," Bovis said in a statement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is there a tiny baseball field in the foreground of that drawing?

ken said...

yeah, that is odd. And check out the five Mac trucks parked next to the stadium on the right.