Saturday, January 10, 2009

Assembly freshmen settling in

Den Dekker (D-Jackson Heights), who has had bit parts in several movies and television shows, is replacing Ivan Lafayette, a 32-year veteran of the Assembly.

"It's a great honor to replace an Assembly member who was in office since I was 14 years old," said Den Dekker, who has worked for the city's Office of Emergency Management and Assemblywoman Marge Markey. "I'm looking forward to the gray skies of Albany."

Some of his colleagues are planning to haze the freshman.

"[Fellow Queens Assemblymen] Mike Gianaris and Mark Weprin are teasing me a lot," Den Dekker said. "They tell me I have to pick up Mike's dry cleaning and clean Mark's car."


Well, that's basically what he did for Markey... Let's move on.

Borough President Helen Marshall, who served in Albany in the 1980s, had some words of advice for all the Queens freshmen, including "be nice" and "make friends."

Keep in mind that we're soon going to be blessed with 4 more years of this great political mind.

Freshman pols to hit state stage: Addabbo, Monserrate & Den Dekker off to capital

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God at least one has a brain and in case the voters don't know who I mean it's Addabbo.

Someone please tell me how Dekker is qualifed? I've been in more movies then he has so I guess I should be President.

Anonymous said...

Mike Gianaris and Mark Weprin are teasing me a lot," Den Dekker said. "They tell me I have to pick up Mike's dry cleaning and clean Mark's car."

Well, that's basically what he did for Markey... Let's move on.

He worked for Marge Markey? He will be great at napping won't he!

Anonymous said...

Someone please tell me how Dekker is qualifed?
------

The machine picked him and you said nothing.

Maybe we need to start a public education program on reminding the public on their civic duties.

Anonymous said...

Addabbo has shown he has support by getting votes in a Council District competitive for Repubs when he first got elected there and in a competitive district to oust Maltese. He's got a brain, he works hard, and he doesn't have an ego that gets in his way.

Anonymous said...

Den Dekker is demented.