Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It was fun while it lasted

From the NY Times:

The Queens Library announced on Monday that beginning next month, 14 library branches in Queens will no longer serve customers on the weekends.

The Central Library in Jamaica will remain open on Sundays from noon to 5 pm, and the other 48 locations will keep their hours on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

The libraries that will be open only Monday through Friday are Arverne, Astoria, Baisley Park, Court Square, East Elmhurst, East Flushing, Kew Garden Hills, Lefrak City, North Forest Park, Ozone Park, Queensboro Hill, Ridgewood, South Hollis and Windsor Park.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weekends is exactly when they should be open and they should slice the hours during the day to do this.

Otherwise the library will be inaccessible for anyone with a job.

Anonymous said...

"Print is dead"
-Dr. Egon Spengler

Anonymous said...

They really need to have their "books" audited to see where the money goes. There's no reason why their execs should be driving around in free cars with official license plates. They have so many vans and trucks that they have to take up (rare) street and metered parking around the Central Library, because the vehicles don't fit in their driveway/loading dock area, which forces library visitors to have to pay for more expensive parking in the private lot instead of at a meter. They spend too much on today's best sellers, which all go into the 25-cent bin next week when they're no longer popular.

Anonymous said...

All the developers on their board should DONATE something back to the community.

Notice how City Planning is not cut back, only hospitals and schools for kids and libraries.

Need money for developers and tweeder programs.

How does that make you feel mon and dad?

Correction. How does that make you feel taxpaying mon and dad?

Anonymous said...

In fairness, although I do not have children, I know that my branch (Mitchell-Linden) runs after school programs for the children in my neighborhood (I assume their parents are working during these hours), so I am torn.

But, since I am both ambulatory and drive, I have access to the other branches on weekends (and my home computer access allows me to renew online). So, I guess in order to weigh how the library is allotting its resources, I would need information about how the older constituents in my neighborhood are being served compared to the the younger families, both of which I would like to support . . . .