From the Daily News:
The city failed to address thousands of illegal home conversion complaints in Queens last year because inspectors didn't try hard enough to gain access to the properties, a new audit shows.
City Controller William Thompson blasted the Buildings Department's Queens quality-of-life unit for missing two-thirds of the properties that had complaints filed against them.
"This is absolutely outrageous," Thompson said Tuesday. "Illegal conversions not only reduce the quality of life in a neighborhood ... but pose serious safety risks by creating potentially unsafe living conditions."
The unit tried to inspect all 8,345 properties that drew complaints, but did not gain entry to 67% of them, the audit showed. The inspectors requested access warrants to less than 1% of the buildings they failed to enter.
"Considering the potential risk to the public, the Buildings Department must make a greater effort to obtain access warrants," Thompson said.