"NY1 For You" first reported this story last month, after Terita alerted NY1 to the unsanitary condition.
"I have never really gone that close to look because I am afraid of what might jump out at me," said Terita Murphy.
While they might not have jumped out at her, there were both rat droppings and a dead dog in the trash heap, according to the Department of Health, which sent inspectors to the site after NY1 called. The DOH removed the dog carcass and set out rat poison, but the garbage pile remained and grew.
Legally, the owner of the building, whom NY1 could not reach for comment, is responsible for cleaning up the trash heap. However, since he did not respond to the violation issued by the DOH, the department initiated a several day cleaning process. The agency also issued a summons to the owner, which can result in a fine as large as $2,000.
For the Murphys, however, the legal responsibility is irrelevant. With their next door neighbor's backyard starting to clear, the Murphys can now breathe a sigh of relief, and not have to worry about smelling garbage.