SUNNYSIDE (WABC) -- Fumes from railyard construction may have sickened three dozen people in Queens.
Emergency crews responded to the scene at 33-00 Northern Boulevard in Sunnyside three times on Tuesday.
New York firefighters were first called to the scene just after 12:00 p.m. Rescue crews transported three people suffering the effects of what appeared to be a gas leak to the hospital.
An hour later, firefighters were called back to the building. They took 11 more people to the hospital.
Then just after 3:00 p.m., a third call brought rescuers back to the scene.
Another 19 people were being evaluated for what appeared to be exposure to a gas leak.
Investigators said Tuesday night that fumes from railyard construction could have been the source of the illnesses. Their investigation was continuing.
More from NY1.