After a four-year battle, the Parks Department has agreed to allow the Center for the Women of New York to use one of its buildings as headquarters at Fort Totten.
Women’s Center OK’d For Fort Totten Building
The brick building — the former bachelor officers’ residence — was built in 1905 and is located next to the Bayside Historical Society headquarters (the former officers’ club). The interior contains 10 apartment-style units without electricity, running water or heat. The front porch is collapsing.
Once the agreement with the city is officially signed, the women’s group will begin restoration, which is expected to take a few months before the building is habitable. The facility is part of a landmarked district and the exterior has to remain intact.
See previous post about this building: The Fort Totten Historic District, part 3