Sunday, August 22, 2010

Statue design ripped off by Chinese manufacturers


From the Daily News:

There's something unseemly about a Statue of Liberty souvenir that says "Made in China."

Yet there they are by the thousands - pink, white and blue in Times Square gift shops.

Workers in Shanghai making just $197 a month churn them out by the truckload. No wonder China just passed Japan to become the world's second-largest economy, gaining on us fast.

Don't get me wrong. China makes cool souvenirs of New York City. Like the water tower bank, King Kong climbing the Empire State Building eraser and the skyline-in-a-book keychain complete with pop-up midtown and foldout Central Park.

I just wish they didn't all seem to be made in Guangzhou.

So does Ovidiu Colea. The Romanian immigrant, who did five years in a labor camp, says it's strange that a country with few freedoms mass-produces our most recognizable symbol.

"I find it very ironic," Colea says from his small Colbar Art factory near Calvary Cemetery in Blissville, Queens.

As workers finessed the folds on Lady Liberty's resin robes, added silver crowns and dipped her torch in gold elixir, Colea, a 71-year-old sculptor with hands like mitts, observed: "China makes so many freedom symbols, but their country is not free. Their people are not free. People here fought for liberty; they died for liberty."

11 comments:

faster340 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Queens Crapper said...

Huh? Faster that made no sense.

faster340 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Queens Crapper said...

I think you misunderstood the post completely.

gov. arnold schwarzenegger said...

Ja, I ackree mit Faster. Hahr-hahr.

Anonymous said...

I've seen American flags being sold that were made in China probably woven of (LOL) "Chinkrolon" recycled mystery fiber.

I'd never fly one!

Chris said...

A few weeks back, I went into a souvenir shop in Times Square (I work in the area). Everything I picked up was Made in China. My sister just got back from Florida. All the souvenirs she brought back? You got it. Made in China. I wonder where the souvenirs you pick up in China are made.

Chris said...

A few weeks back, I went into a souvenir shop in Times Square (I work in the area). Everything I picked up was Made in China. My sister just got back from Florida. All the souvenirs she brought back? You got it. Made in China. I wonder where the souvenirs you pick up in China are made.

Anonymous said...

If it says Made In China, leave it on the shelf and let it rot.

Maybe they'll get the hint and things will be made HERE again, by AMERICANS.

What a concept!

Anonymous said...

I would rather give my money to the slopes than the over paid lazy union scum.

alka nag said...

Hello

I am looking to contact the Colbar Art Factory urgently. Im a student of photography with an assignment on landmarks & souvenirs. Its a really cool assignment but i want to shoot the 'behind the scenes; in a sense.
Could you please send me the contact details. It would be such a great help! my e mail - alkanag@gmail.com

Best
Alka