Sunday, October 11, 2009
History of a Glendale park
From the NYC Parks Department:
The Glendale Playground site was probably farmland for much of the 19th century. In 1885, the Newtown Board of Education opened School #13, the Glendale Union Free School. A larger school building was erected on the site in 1893. When the five boroughs were incorporated in 1898, the school came under the jurisdiction of the City of New York Board of Education and was renamed P.S. 67. Its principal from 1893 to 1915 was John Wesley Drumm (1862-1930), for whom nearby Drumm Triangle is named. After P.S. 91 was built a few blocks to the east in 1915, the P.S. 67 building provided facilities for students with disabilities and later served as an annex for Bushwick and Grover Cleveland High Schools.
In 1940-41 Parks acquired the school property and an adjacent parcel for a new playground, which opened in 1942.
Circa 1936 (click photo for larger version):