Sunday, May 8, 2011

City water is whale habitat

From Metro:

The world’s biggest animal is swimming just off New York City’s shores.

A total of six whale species have been spotted from Long Island to New York Harbor, scientists announced yesterday.

Whales have been known to surface near New York, but it wasn’t until researchers submerged sound recorders off Long Island in 2008 that they found out how many and how often whales are found just off Lower Manhattan.

“I was completely shocked,” said Christopher Clark, director of the Bioacoustics Research Program at Cornell, who studies whale sounds. “Off New York, we’ve found that we have some of the greatest animals on earth.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Thar she blows"!

Moby Stavisky has been spewing swill from her blowhole every time she breaches!

Claire Shamuman said...

Don't forget about me!

Captain Ahab said...

I'm stayin' far away from yer blowhole Claire!

Claire Shillman said...

Captain Ahab said...
I'm stayin' far away from yer blowhole Claire!

------------------------------------------------

But I promise to take my wooden teeth out for you, sweetie!