Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Jack "the Hack" hangs it up

From the Daily News:

Jack (the Hack) Dym - likely the city's most veteran cabbie - has traded traffic lines for line dancing, bowling and yoga.

Dym, 82, who got his hack license in 1947 and first picked up passengers in a Packard, has turned in his keys at a Manhattan fleet garage for the last time.

"After 62 years and 2 million miles driving, I'm done driving," he said. "I'm free. If someone needs me, I can come. If my friends have a party, I can go. If I want to go anywhere, I can go."

Dym and his late wife bought a house in Howard Beach, Queens, where they raised four children on his modest income.

He has driven part-time for the past five years, but said he no longer wants to fight traffic.

Dym now tools around in his 1994 Toyota, which he drives to the Queens senior center where he takes yoga and dancing classes. He also likes to bowl.

He summed up his last six decades driving a cab: "I did it because I enjoy people," he said. "I love people."

4 comments:

KG2V said...

Happy retirement

Anonymous said...

What does this have to do with anything regarding QUeens?

Queens Crapper said...

Guess you can't read.

Anonymous said...

Good for Jack! enjoy retirement,you earned it!