The Sons of the Revolution are stalled in their efforts to hold the 225th anniversary parade on November 22, a Saturday. The New York City Police Department, which has jurisdiction over parades in the city, turned down the organization's application for a parade on Broadway from City Hall to the Battery.
Sons of Revolution Appeal City's Denial of Parade Permit
"I'm concerned that every imaginable ethnic group gets to celebrate their pride, every year, on the main thoroughfares of this city. But we're not allowed to celebrate the end of the war that formed this nation and ensured our liberty as Americans. We only have this parade once every 25 years," the executive director of the Sons of the Revolution, Richard Gregory, said.
A spokeswoman for Mayor Bloomberg said that City Hall has no jurisdiction over parades in New York City, and that appeals of denied applications must be directed to the NYPD. Mr. Gregory said that the organization has formally filed an appeal with the police department's Investigation Review Section. As of last night, a spokesman for the NYPD said the Chief of the Department was reviewing the matter.
An editorial in The New York Sun last year reported that the city hosts annual parades such as the Million Marijuana March, as well as parades honoring Haiti, Turkish-American relations, and Philippine independence. In the past year, the Hare Krishna parade marched down Fifth Avenue. The largest parade in New York City occurs every June, when Puerto Ricans converge in Manhattan for their annual parade.
The Sons of the Revolution's frustration also stems from the fact that the city pulled out the stops for its last Evacuation Day parade on November 26, 1983, the event's bicentennial. The parade route was even longer in 1983: It started on Walker Street at Broadway and ended at the Battery.