Sunday, May 10, 2009

Family allowed to sift through destroyed house

From the Daily News:

A family that lost its Floral Park home in last month's deadly Con Edison gas explosion was allowed back inside Thursday to salvage their belongings.

Vita and Stanley Barth had been pushing city officials to let them back into their 260th St. home of 51 years following the April 24 blast.

"We're literally sifting through ashes with rakes in our hands to find anything of value to us," said the couple's son, Larry Barth, 47, of New Hyde Park, L.I. "It gives our parents something to hold onto."

The family was especially keen to recover Vita Barth's artwork and a collection of Jewish artifacts - some more than 200 years old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to them. The same thing happened to me, except it was a heavy masonary ceiling that destroyed mementos going back to my Victorian Great Aunt Annie.

My landlord never paid me a dime for dangerous construction work that wrecked everything. I hope Con Ed gives them something.