Thursday, October 9, 2008

Landlord Charged in Carbon Monoxide Deaths

RIVERHEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- A Long Island landlord has been charged with criminally negligent homicide in the carbon monoxide deaths of three tenants, including a 4-year-old girl.

Wilson Milord of Dix Hills appeared Wednesday in Suffolk County Court.

Milord did not enter a formal plea because he did not yet have a lawyer. He told the judge, however: "I'm not a criminal."

District Attorney Thomas Spota says Milord placed a gasoline-powered generator in the West Babylon home, instead of providing an electrical hookup.

Tenants Ricardo Pearce, Tanisha Armstrong, and Armstrong's daughter, Talani Johnson, were overcome by fumes from the generator. They died in their sleep on Nov. 20, 2007, a day after it was placed in the home.

Previously: Illegal LI rental has tragic consequences


Anonymous said...

This is sad and inexcusible.

Rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

Now if we could just get the authorities to act before someone else dies. I came home to find large chunks of plaster in my living room because of overly-aggressive renovations at my 100-year old apartment. The police told me "It's not a police matter, call the Buildings Department."

My television, dining room table and knick-knack tables were all pulverized. If I was home, "So sad too bad."