The Voelker-Orth house, which was constructed with a variety of materials and rooflines, sits near the southeast corner of a 10,000-square-foot lot at 38th Ave. and 149th Place.
It was built about 1891 by a Flushing merchant who sold it in 1899 to Conrad Voelker, a German immigrant who started a printing business in Manhattan that published a widely read German newspaper.
Museum has landmark status under wing
Houses like the Voelker-Orth were commonly built at the end of the 19th century to reflect the wealth and success of their owners.
The house remained in the Voelker family until 1996, when Conrad Voelker's last surviving heir, Elizabetha Orth, died and left instructions in her will to turn the house and grounds into a museum of Queens history, an environmental education center and a bird sanctuary.