Sunday, November 4, 2007

Dialing for dollars

MEMBERS of the City Council have gone on a fund-raising rampage to squeeze as much as they can out of lobbyists before a new law kicks in limiting those contributions.

POLS $QUEEZING LOBBYISTS TO BEAT NEW DONATION CAP


"I just got a call from a council member who said to me, 'When are you going to give?' " complained one lobbyist, who said he felt strong-armed. "It's like the gold rush. I've never seen anything like it. They're all asking."

More infuriating is that some of the legislators are pleading with lobbyists to file a lawsuit challenging the law.

"They're saying 'We want you to sue,' " confided a lobbyist. "These are the same guys who voted for it. It's ludicrous."

Cartoon from Slate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like pledge week time for lobbyists
and politicians!

Get that money in for matching "grants".....eh?

Gotta make that deadline!

Wonder what the Parkside Group's take is on all this?

Anonymous said...

This more than bears out the old saying,

"Don't tell my mother I'm a politician. She thinks I play the piano in a whorehouse."