Tuesday, November 25, 2014

An eyesore for almost 20 years

I stumbled upon this house after making a wrong turn in Brooklyn this weekend. I just had to find out what the story was here.

You'd think after 19 years, the city would do something with this property instead of allowing it to bring down the area. The rest of the homes here are well-maintained and it's ridiculous that the neighbors have had to put up with this eyesore for so long, especially since ACRIS records reveal that there are outstanding property taxes due.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So who is paying the taxes?

Anonymous said...

Affordable housing?

Anonymous said...

I have one in my neighborhood been empty for 15 years.

Kelly Normand said...

I have a derelict house, next to mine, also empty for 20 + years. Is there anyway for the city or private citizens to intervene or force an owner to fix it or sell it? As far as I know, the parents died and the numerous grown siblings are in dispute over ownership. It's a sad situation.

Anonymous said...

There are 2 corner buildings at 7th Ave & 22nd St. One, well it's actual 4 buildings are owned by NYC. The other has been abandoned for years. Both are officially marked as condemned. the city should get off its lazy butt and actually something

Unknown said...

This is in my neighborhood., Bath Beach. We call it "Gray Gardens" of Brooklyn.
I actually have a picture of me in front of it. The rest of the neighborhood is very nice. This is the only abandoned house that I know of here also.