From the Queens Gazette:
Troubled developer Thomas Huang last month agreed to fork over $26,400 to resolve a series of safety violations uncovered during an investigation into a deadly construction accident that left a 26-year-old worker dead and three others seriously injured in Elmhurst on January 10.
The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) fined Huang’s H-Rock Corporation $38,000 for serious violations of workplace safety standards, at a job site at 85-02 Queens Blvd. that caused the death of Hedilberto Sanchez.
Construction crews at the site were working on a one-story cinderblock wall measuring 65-feet long and 20-feet high when workers began pouring concrete, authorities said. The wall collapsed, releasing scaffolding and sending the workers tumbling into the rubble.
Four men were taken to Elmhurst Hospital Center where Sanchez was pronounced dead on arrival. Three other workers – including Sanchez’ brother, were treated for fractures, trauma and other serious injuries.
The fine was reduced to $26,400 after Huang agreed to a settlement on June 30, OSHA spokesperson John Chavez said.