Monday, June 14, 2010

You're a grand old flag

From the Queens Gazette:

On Monday, June 14, the United States will recognize Flag Day, the 233rd anniversary of the first Flag Act, passed by the Continental Congress on June 14, 1777.

The Act created the first flag for the original 13 colonies as they broke away from England. It stated that “the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation”.

Flag Day was kept as a local tradition across the country until it was established on May 30, 1916, under a proclamation of President Woodrow Wilson. President Harry Truman signed an Act of Congress on Aug. 3, 1949, placing National Flag Day on the 14th day of June every year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago a neighbor, who was from a foreign land, ask me not to display my flag. He said he found it offensive. He pissed me off, to say the least.

My response: I installed a light on my flag pole and proudly display the star spangled banner 24/7. The flag was still there when the asshole moved away.

Show your colors. Be proud.

Anonymous said...

My flag flies every day.

Anonymous said...

I have a 35 flag in my front window.I bought a string of clear led lights and have them turned on/off by a timer.

Anonymous said...

i meant 3x5

Cherokeesista said...

Anyone who ever tells me that my Beautiful American Flag offends them can KISS MY ASS!!!! And then they can take the next flight to wherever the hell they come from!!!
My beatiful American Flag flys Proudly everyday!!!!

Anonymous said...

The Flag is just our daily reminder that AMERICA IS GREAT, BUT IT'S CITIZENS ARE GREATER, now take off your hat, put your hand over your heart and repeat after me:

I Pledge allegiance...to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic,...for which it stands...ONE NATION UNDER GOD...indivisible...with LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

If you didn't...well there is a boat leaving soon.. be on it!