From the Daily News:
State officials are set to vote on the latest version of developer Bruce Ratner's Atlantic Yards project in September - even if they don't know what it looks like.
At a raucous hearing Wednesday, critics ripped into the Empire State Development Corp. for allowing Ratner to move forward without producing renderings of the new Nets arena and the 16 towers he plans to build in Prospect Heights.
"We are being asked to comment on a phantom project, to review a project without being able to view the project plans. This is beyond ludicrous," said Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn spokesman Daniel Goldstein.
Since star architect Frank Gehry was booted from the project to save money, the Kansas City firm Ellerbe Beckett has been working to design a stripped-down arena for the Nets.
"The design is not complete yet," Forest City Ratner Executive Vice President MaryAnne Gilmartin said last week, adding that renderings would be released in September or October.
But Gilmartin also said the developer may not put out the images before the board votes - and doesn't have to.
Nearly drowned out by a chorus of cheers and boos - and one heckler calling him a "big fat slob" - Borough President Marty Markowitz reiterated his support for the project.