Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rockaway Beach gets a new diner

The Rockaways Diner, a 1950s-themed eatery on Beach 116th St., opened last month and, according to the owners, business has been booming.

The Rockaways Diner caters to hunger for the '50s by the beach

The restaurant, which is across the street from the A-train station, is heavy on nostalgia. Life-sized figures of Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe and Betty Boop greet patrons. The sound system plays an endless string of early rock 'n' roll and doo-wop classics.

Then there's the ice cream. The diner offers 21 different toppings and serves classic milkshakes, floats and malts.

"You step into a different world when you come in here," said manager Zulfet Ceman. "The community needs a place like this."

The diner is open 7 a.m. to midnight on weekdays and closes an hour later on weekends. Down for the day beachgoers have been piling into the diner on weekends.

"It seems like a lot of diners are disappearing and becoming drugstores or banks," said Melendez. "We should have a nice strip of commercial stores. We hope we'll encourage other businesses to come."

8 comments:

Ridgewoodian said...

I actually ate there a couple of weekends ago. The burger was not half bad; they actually prepared it rare, like I ordered it, and not medium, like a lot of places do now. The life size Elvi were a little scary, but, all in all, a good place for a quick bite.

Unknown said...

I'm visiting friends at the Rockaways this weekend. I'll mention the diner and this post to them.

Anonymous said...

Chewing out a rhythm on my bubble gum
The sun is out and I want some
It's not hard, not far to reach
We can hitch a ride
To Rockaway Beach
Up on the roof, out on the street
Down in the playground the hot concrete
Busride is too slow
They blast out the disco on the radio
Rock Rock Rockaway Beach
Rock Rock Rockaway Beach
We can hitch a ride
To Rockaway Beach
It's not hard, not far to reach
We can hitch a ride
To Rockaway Beach

Anonymous said...

as a resident who was anticipating the opening of this diner its unfortunate that the new owners spent a fortune redoing the place since the food is at best inedible. (and overpriced for what you get) service is terrible, which is why the place was empty on a sat. night in August. Hopefully they will replace the chef (if there even is one) microwaved eggs at dunkin donuts next door are better.

Anonymous said...

I was one of the managers during the opening week of this restaurant. I agreed to work 6 days/60 hours per week and instead worked 103 hours over a 7 day period (including a 33 hour shift... with no break).

I was then fired for a cop out reason, and they have so far refused to pay me what they owe.

All of the employees are being paid off the books and forced to work slave shifts. On the 5th day they fired all the busboys from the Rockaway area and replaced them with a family of illegal immigrants.

Disgusting checklist: No employee bathroom, ice cream scoopers stored in 8 hour old still water, tables cleaned with dirty rags and no sanitizer, icecream on the refridgerator floor, expediter that grabs food with his hands, no handwash sink in kitchen, and no employee bathroom. Just to name a few.

As far as the food goes, I never had a burger I didn't like, until I went here. All the products are cheap Sysco garbage and are stored/cooked improperly. When things are slow, the food comes out fine, but the slightest volume and everything comes out atrocious or an hour later (if at all).

The owner seriously has to be the cheapest SOB on the planet. He isn't a restaurant guy, he's a real estate agent who doesn't give a damn about the community. His wife will even argue with customers if they dare say something bad about the establishment.

I haven't been there in the last month, but from what I've heard from my former co-workers, not much has changed. Avoid this place like the plague until the owner sells.

Anonymous said...

Anon. on Aug. 18: You should report them to the Dept. of Health.

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I'm glad you posted, that gave me the heads up not to go there.

Anonymous said...

supposedly its gone through a management change. I eat breakfast there often and its good, cheap and fast. I had dinner once and it was horrible

Anonymous said...

The furniture is nice
I built it!
The owners are very good people!