Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sanitation workers burned by unknown chemical

Eyewitness News

SPRINGFIELD GARDENS (WABC) -- Two sanitation workers were treated after being exposed to an unknown chemical in Queens.

Eyewitness News is told the workers were exposed while on 166th Street, near Linden Boulevard, just after 9:30 a.m. this morning.

They were apparently exposed to a chemical thrown in with the trash, possibly some kind of acid.

Officials say they sustained non-life threatening burns and were taken to Jamaica Hospital.

Authorities closed a block of 166th Street as they treated the workers.

1 comment:

I'm Watching said...

While I seriously doubt that it was done with malicious intentions, people really need to think about what they are throwing in the trash.

It's unfortunate that someone got hurt this time (thankfully seemingly minor injuries) but people need to better educate themselves on how to dispose of things that cannot be tossed in regular trash.