The safety problems on one of the city's most prominent landmarks went unnoticed until a city Buildings Department manager gazed at Tweed while walking to his office on Chambers St. in lower Manhattan.
Totally glue-less at Tweed
The Buildings Department issued a building code violation for "facade - defective/cracking." The violation is still in effect, but officials agree the city will not have to pay itself a fine.
Tweed was built over 20 years, from 1861 to 1881, as notorious Tammany Hall boss William Marcy Tweed and his cohorts stole untold millions from the project.
Tweed was tried for corruption inside the unfinished building in 1873.
A renovation completed just as former Mayor Rudy Giuliani left office cost the city $89 million - almost three times initial estimates.
Still, preservationists rejoiced at the time, saying the public would finally get to see the courthouse's spectacular staircases, skylights and dramatic interior courtyard in all their restored glory.
Then Mayor Bloomberg decided to put the city Education Department's offices in the building, rather than the Museum of the City of New York, which had been promised the space.
Photo from Daily News