Sunday, August 31, 2014

A Murray Hill video tale


Hello! I bid you well.

My name is Julian Kim and I am a filmmaker who grew up in Flushing, Queens.

I would like to share my latest work with you entitled "Flushing Web Series".

It's funny how this whole thing started. I was walking down Roosevelt Ave one Monday to take the 7 train, but Monday morning's trash day. So you can only imagine what the smell is like: with all the crap and garbage from various restaurants lined up right up against the curb mixed in with their sad attempt to cover the smell up by pouring hot diluted soap water... The commutes on Monday mornings always are the worst. I grew up in Flushing my entire life but I still can't get used to the smell.

So I realized then how much I hated Flushing. I hated everything about Flushing and everything about Queens. Starting with the smell, loud music, hobos, and how crowded it gets with obnoxious people who either walk really slow or walk straight toward you for that annoying shoulder-to-shoulder collision. Oh, and all those dead animals on display for people to eat...

But at the same time, I realized this is also my hometown. Yes, it sucks (a lot) but every corner here in Flushing has a story of its own. Every piece of garbage probably has a story, too!

I wanted to highlight parts of Flushing and this would be my humble attempt. And I also humbly ask if you would just take your time to watch it and share your thoughts on your blog and Facebook page! You can be real and honest - I just would love to hear back from fellow Queens natives about the whole series!

Thanks and hope you have a good one!

--
Julian Kim
Creative Director ➶
swallowtailstudios.com || facebook
(516) 312-7525

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julian, young people like you give me hope for this city. Great work. Keep it up, and continue to post here!

Anonymous said...

Great job Julian. Flushing needs more people like yourself who love their town - warts and all.

Joe Moretti said...

Very talented Julian. Keep at it.

Anonymous said...

And let me guess "Julian", youre just another typical self loathing asian with dreams of being a WASP.
Your kind is pretty common around the City "Julian".

Joe on 154th said...

Julian,
I think you capture the feelings of so many. I've been in flushing the last 20 years. I feel the same way as you do with some other emotions mixed in as well. Great cinematography. well done brother.

Joe

Anonymous said...

I loved this! It's great to see someone from Flushing represent.

Anonymous said...

Very nice

Jon Torodash said...

Anonymous #3, how assumptive and hateful.

Julian, it was a joy to watch. You have a lot of talent, and are a credit to Queens. I hope you keep producing work that speaks to the best of our borough, and keep QC informed. It's refreshing to hear positive stories on this site. Do you submit any entries to local film festivals?

Anonymous said...

Anon No. 4: And let me guess. You're just a hateful schmuck, putting someone down for expressing a viewpoint contrary to yours.

kingofnycabbies said...

Jon Torodash: "It's refreshing to hear positive stories on this site."

Julian Kim: "So I realized then how much I hated Flushing. I hated everything about Flushing and everything about Queens. Starting with the smell, loud music, hobos, and how crowded it gets with obnoxious people who either walk really slow or walk straight toward you for that annoying shoulder-to-shoulder collision. Oh, and all those dead animals on display for people to eat..."

Anonymous said...

excellent! I live in Flushing - I am 60 years old - born and raised here - hence, I've seen a lot of changes. The young and newly arrived immigrants are bemoaning the effects of overcrowding as much as the long-time residents. We are all the victim of greedy developers. I liked this video - I see it as a catalyst for future change and positive growth for our town.

JQ said...

your film was disappointing considering the vitriol in your post.

however it was nicely produced,I hope your next one has a better story that reflects your anger at the community and the inaction of elected officials that furthers the decay of flushing

Cav said...

" We are all the victim of greedy developers"

WRONG!

We are the victims of the 60+% of Queens residents who elect, re-elect and re-re-elect the same goddamned politicians no matter how many times they ass-fuck us. And worse, we later elect their shithead children, cousins, nieces and nephews.

WE FUCKED OURSELVES, not the developers, not the unassimilated immigrants, not even the electeds.
Us.

It has been said here before: We get the government, and neighborhoods we deserve and we sure got it good. Thanks assholes!

So considering the majority population of Queens who will never learn, we should nuke the site from orbit ...just to make sure.

Respectfully, your fellow life-long Queens resident.

Don Cavaioli