Broken thermometer sends kids to hospital
BY TONIA N. CIMINO, Queens Courier
Nine children from the Robert Goddard Middle School in Ozone Park were taken to the hospital after a thermometer containing mercury, a highly poisonous liquid metal, was broken on Tuesday, June 1.
According to Margie Feinberg, Department of Education (DOE) spokesperson, “As soon as it was dropped they closed the room.”
Police, firefighters and a Hazmat team responded and a wing of the school was evacuated.
“Two [of the nine] students said they felt itchy,” said Feinberg. “Parents were immediately notified.”
The incident is under investigation.