Sunday, May 23, 2010

4-alarm fire in Rego Park


MYFOXNY.COM - A large fire burned in a commercial building in Rego Park, Queens on Sunday night.

It started at 66-02 99th Street at about 8:40 p.m. in a one story building. Four stores were in the building. The fire went to four alarms.

There were no injuries by 10 p.m. on Sunday evening.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ohr Natan synagogue (former Trylon Theater) was also ablaze.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if Trylon vet is ok? A lot of animals stay there overnight.

Anonymous said...

Thank G-D the Torahs were taken out safely...one of the guys that risked himself to save the Torah said as soon as he exited, he heard the ceiling of the synagogue crashing down...

Anonymous said...

I also wondered about the animal clinic. Watching the fire from across the street, it seemed to me that the clinic wasn't affected...

Anonymous said...

Trylon Vet had its windows broken and all the animals were taken out safely! ;))

Anonymous said...

Jewish lightning?

Anonymous said...

Trylon Vet - want to know if there were animals in there. Fire marshall said there were animals in there and vet service said no animals. Can someone confirm. Nobody is mentioning the poor animals!

Anonymous said...

Now I heard a cat was in the Emerg Clinic from the vet. Hope all animals were ok. There was a cat in the grocery store basement that lived there. That is awful!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there were no news reports about the Trylon vet..
I also heard that some animals died from the smoke but then I heard that no animals were injured.. Horrible what happened...
feel terrible for the store owners and workers..but really people..what about the lives of those pets!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend and I were there last night. The fire did not go out until around 11:00pm! We confirmed there were no animals in the clinic. We contacted the agency that runs the clinic and we got in touch with the manager/owner. They were all very concerned but confirmed that we could tell the NYPD and NYFD that there were no animals inside last night. The agency was so appreciated that they actually offered by girlfriend a job!!

Anonymous said...

It's ridiculous that people went in to save torahs. If the ceiling collapsed on them would they expect firefighters to come to their rescue?
12 firefighters were injured and these people were running into a burning building!

Anonymous said...

That's because Jews are crazy.. One came up to me while I was watching the fire and said those damn Muslims bombed the synagag!!! Lollolol... I didn't know what to say I never thought I would here that one!

Anonymous said...

its not rediculious that i saved the torah. i'm 15 and not a selfish brat to not care about a 50,000 dollar torah.so stfuuuuuuuu
your crazy

Anonymous said...

thank god that the torahs were saved...hashem is always with us amen!!!

Anonymous said...

You mean Bukharian lightning!

Those sheepherder/mobsters need to expand their empire.

Anonymous said...

The Trylon was architecturally tortured by that barbarian Kasiev years ago.

The fire just put it out of it's misery.

Anonymous said...

your prior posting above about the animals being saved is not true. I understand that so far at least 1 cat died at the vet and the grocery store had 2 cats in the basement that nobody even knew about so I'm sure they didn't get out. I think it's cruel that they were in there to begin with. The answering service at the vet was not accurate.

merrilyn said...

Please give me a break. I was just there as I live in the area, and the fumes had travelled southeast for quite a distance. But, may God forgive me, I only cared about pets, and I knew that this is not a residential street. I feel real bad (not badly, "bad" is correct grammatically) for the store owners and employees and neighbors who lost property. Somehow, I felt better that I didn't hear gossip, that usually flourishes at these unfortunate events. Absolutely amazing that the antique store was totally unaffected. I wanted to know how this fire started, but couldn't get an answer.

Anonymous said...

The Trylon Theatre was almost a historic monument that unfortunately couldn't be saved. It was named "Trylon" at the time of the 1939 World's Fair because of the Trylon and perisphere there. Even the name was removed. Maybe it didn't want to be remembered the way it was altered. And, I'm Jewish.

Anonymous said...

Apparently you are all stubborn individuals. This will be the last post by me, take it or leave it. There were NO animals in the animal clinic. I personally spoke with the agency, owner and manager the night of the fire, while it was going on. There were NO animals in there. The media is incorrect in their statments. As for the other 2 cats in the other stores I have no information.

Anonymous said...

The vet did have an office cat as many vets do. It was rescued by the firemen and the last I heard is in an animal hospital. Also heard it was eating but they were worried about brain damage. This info came to me from firemen and police.

Anonymous said...

yes, I heard that the office cat was taken to an animal emergency clinic as well. Hope he's ok. Whoever is writing above this post can stop demanding there were no animals in the hosp should think twice before writing because most vets do have an office cat, pet or animals board/hospitalized. The so called "agency" is inaccurate and so is their answering service. If it was only 1 cat glad he got out. The other two in the grocery store were not lucky to get out. Animals should not be kept for hunting mice in basements in the first place!!

Anonymous said...

What happened to the diner?

Anonymous said...

The website for the Trylon Vet Care lists the details about their cat Spike. Apparently, he is recovering and was rescued by the FDNY and a staff member, they did however suffer extensive damage to their hospital and overall so did most of the businesses on that block, the fact that any survived is a miracle in light of this tragedy

Anonymous said...

Trylon Vet care reported on their site that their house cat was injured in the fire & is in guarded condition.Did the grocery cat die?It's just amazing that in 2010 not more people are concerned about any animals & in reporting about them such as the media.I'd like to know if those who tried or did save the Torah's thought about saving any animals.Lives come first-espaecially those who can't speak,are defenseless & helpless.

Anonymous said...

Not true there were animals in the vet's office my friend's bird died of smoke inhalation...Trylon should be relaying more accurate info...I am sure there were more animals in the place...but trylon is only gonna tell the owners not the public...Ridiculous when you cant even trust your vet!